The coal mining town of Diy coal mine in Co Donegal was a place where the local people gathered in the winter for a place to go and get their fill of warmth and a good kick in the stomach.
It was a safe place, said a man who lives in the area and, as we sat around the fire, he spoke of the miners who died at the mine.
In the early years of the 19th century, Diy had a reputation as one of the best mining towns in Ireland.
In fact, the town was known for its coal mining, with a population of about 15,000 people.
It had a railway to reach its mills and an extensive network of roads.
It also had a flourishing community centre where people would gather to sing and play ball games.
It all seemed very promising.
Then something happened.
On February 3, 1887, the mines workers who had worked in the mine that day fell ill and died.
It is difficult to say why they fell ill, but they may have been exposed to the carcinogenic asbestos.
That is the claim of the Co Donegall-based group Friends of Diyd Coal Mine, who have set up a Facebook page to try and identify those who died.
They say the workers were exposed to asbestos and that the company that made the mine was negligent.
The mines were the largest employer in the town and were known for their heavy use of steam power.
It came to light in 2005 that the mine had been closed for decades.
The workers were buried in a plot in the village cemetery, but it has remained sealed off and has been a problem for some time.
But now Friends of the Diyd Mine claim that some of the remains of those who were buried there may have asbestos.
Friends of mine have set themselves up to take the lead on the investigation and try and find those who may have died and to collect any evidence they can.
There are no official statistics on how many people died at Diy Coal Mine but there is a claim that there were as many as 10 miners who fell ill in the mines at the time.
In addition, there were also seven children who died there.
The mine closed after a massive fire in 1902 and, at the height of the asbestos crisis, it was a favourite location for those who wanted to get their hands on asbestos.
There were reports of other accidents that led to the deaths, including one in which a mine worker died after being struck by a train.
A large number of people in the community who were working at the mines saw that it was unsafe to come and work there.
At the time, it would have been a safe job.
People were still getting their jobs.
At some point, the community stopped supporting the mine and, in the early 1930s, the area was closed and a coal quarry was built to replace the mine site.
That quarry was closed in the 1960s and the mine closed in 1976.
In 2009, a memorial was erected in front of the quarry, where the graves of the seven miners are said to be.
Friends say that the burial plot has been closed off.
The group is asking people to contact them and if they can help identify anyone who may be buried in the plot.
They also say they will be contacting the family of the miner who died and offering a £1,000 reward for anyone who can identify them.
If anyone has any information, they would be asked to contact Friends of Mine on 1800 478 038.